Re: [Health] Vocabulary - Snomed CT, LOINC

From: lemoene
Subject: Re: [Health] Vocabulary - Snomed CT, LOINC
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 21:45:25 +0200

 Thanks Luis, Cedric

(Chris I am not sure whether you are subscribed here?)

Still ramping up, more newbie questions: Was a standard vocabulary such as
LOINC or Snomed used in GNU Health's design? Please share any pointers, tips
&  tricks

I'm open to use any free standard that has a wide adoption. The
vocabulary then will be part of the localization project for the
health_lab. It would be good to share the same as with Bika Labs.

So if it's free and widely used, we'll be happy to use it.
I guess you mean open standard
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Open_standard
I used the "free" (as an Freedom) standard on purpose. If you look at
the Wiki description of "open standard" there are quite many
definitions, including Microsoft ;-)

I like the European Union definition of the Standard. The problem with
that concept is that only guarantees interoperability among the EU....
we need standards to be used in all countries of the world.

That's part of the reason that we adopt the WHO coding for diseases
and essential medicines.

I would love to see the same for interoperability, in clinical
records... many countries have their own system... but hopefully
someday something truly free will emerge.

Any thoughts ?

They are all new to me and from there the question (remember we are not from a strictly medical background) but LOINC (http://loinc.org/) seems to be the most common? In a reply to the same question on the Bika Health list, the OpenELIS developers replied that they used that too.

SNOMED CT, http://www.ihtsdo.org/snomed-ct/, is another and was also the topic of talk on the last day of IWEEE in Luxembourg.

I want to find out 'how to' more than which one and I'll ask the OpenELIS guys again once I am better informed. I have a feeling that the Mirth HL7 server could resolve this issue. I'll try to fit this into a discussion with the programmers tomorrow and report back.

Short of renaming all DB fields using LOINC I suppose one can keep additional fields for synonyms but this could fall squarely in the Mirth domain... to be honest I have no clue what I am talking about;-)

One thing I am not going to do though is wait or campaign for ONE standard as that is NEVER going to happen. All the different groups have too much invested in already

Bests