Re: [Help-smalltalk] smalltalk-2.1h / browser

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] smalltalk-2.1h / browser
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 23:44:24 +0200

2) the second problem is when gst is builded
with --enable-preemption. In such case,
BLOX will never load, gst process will terminate
during BLOX loading after receiving ABORT signal,
as I posted a week ago in "[Help-smalltalk] Bug in GTK?"
I spent a little time reading GST virtual machine sources
- the code for preemptive scheduling looks fine and
there is no code in whole VM that raises ABORT signal
(or I just haven't found it :-). I've absolutely no
idea what's wrong.
I hadn't seen that your original bug report was for preemption. This makes it easier to "debug" it just by postponing it after 2.2.

Preemption (more appropriately named automatic time-sharing preemption, because I/O multitasking *is* preemptive) support is still not ready for prime time.

 while trying the old TK with :

   PackageLoader fileInPackage: 'BloxTK'!
   PackageLoader fileInPackage: 'Browser'!
   BLOX.BLOXBrowser.BrowserMain new initialize!
Browser requires Blox which requires BloxGTK, so you get a whole mess of half-Tk, half-GTK blox...

Anyway 2.2 will still use BloxTk by default, because BloxGTK does not support much more than the browser. GTK will be enabled by default, but not for the browser.

I will put out a final tarball this week.