[Help-smalltalk] Re: license issue(s)

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: license issue(s)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:12:17 +0100

My question is: Is it ok to deploy applications (on an internal
company network) using GNU Smalltalk without GPLing the source?

If the applications are 100% Smalltalk, the answer is definitely yes.

What about the foreign function interface? Isn't that part of the VM?

We are on thinner ice, but not because the FFI is part of the VM.

If you link other libraries with the VM but you do not need to write C wrappers for that (like for the new ncurses bindings), you're fine. They are being linked in the VM and that's it.

The question is whether modules that interface yourself with the VM can be considered derivative works of the VM. I will contact the FSF lawyers to clarify this.