Re: [Help-smalltalk] RE: MinGW patch

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] RE: MinGW patch
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 08:08:22 +0200

Socket support on windows may need a bit more work as descriptors
returned by socket() and fd's returned by open() can, in principle,
clash.

I'm not sure this is true -- on Unix, they are the same `beast' and, on Windows, we can...

use _open_osfhandle() and related functions to allocate a C RTL file
descriptor to work with.

While other functions will not work, we can have wrappers on recvfrom/sendto that unbox the Windows handle and call the winsock function.

I was wondering if GNU Smalltalk preserves the identity of socket and
file descriptors inside its instances and so only calls recv()/send() on
sockets and read()/write() on CRTL file descriptors?

It does (this was done as part of a half-hearted mingw port a few years ago, that introduced socketx.h as you found it).