[Help-smalltalk] Re: Packaging GNU Smalltalk .star archives

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Packaging GNU Smalltalk .star archives
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:12:44 +0100

I don't think it makes sense to put every .star archive in its own
Debian package. At the very least .star archives depending on external
libraries should go in a separate package, so that packages containing
those external libraries are pulled only when needed.

Yes, probably.  The others can go in gnu-smalltalk-common.

That would give something like:
 * gnu-smalltalk-gtk for GTK.star, BloxGTK.star and gst-gtk.so
 * gnu-smalltalk-tk for BloxTK.star and blox-tk.so
 * gnu-smalltalk-ncurses for NCurses.star
 * gnu-smalltalk-gdbm for GDBM.star and gdbm.so
 * gnu-smalltalk-postgresql for DBD-PostgreSQL.star
 * gnu-smalltalk-mysql for DBD-MySQL.star

This one can go in the main distribution because it does not depend on libmysqlclient.

 * gnu-smalltalk-zlib?

Besides, we'll need to be
carefull to make sure package.xml dependencies are captured in Debian
packages[4].

Yes.

I don't know whether some other .star packages should have their own
Debian package, e.g. glorp, sunit.

No, I don't think so.  They can just go in gnu-smalltalk-common.

[1] no problem with multiarch anymore: .star files are searched for in the smalltalk image dir too

Yes, that's good because you don't have anymore problems with gnu-smalltalk-common including a package that is architecture dependent.

Maybe it would it be better to name the packages, for example, libgtk2-gnu-smalltalk, libtk8.4-gnu-smalltalk, libncurses5-gnu-smalltalk (or maybe even using -gst as a suffix)? I don't know, I just got it from your example of libglib-java.