Re: [Help-smalltalk] Seaside, some questions...

From: Joachim Jaeckel
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Seaside, some questions...
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 19:49:29 +0200

Hi Paolo,

thanks for your answer! :-)

I think what is often done, is to firewall Swazoo, and instead use Apache as a proxy server. You then configure Apache to block /seaside/config and to use it, you access Swazoo directly (because of the firewall, that would be possible only within some kind of DMZ).

To use apache as a reverse-proxy came (a bit) to my mind, in the meantime. To have apache responsible for serving the static part of the application, like images and css-files. (I read somewhere, that the static-part should be usable with swazoo, but I found nowhere a bit more detailed example, than the ones on the swazoo website which is only a 5-liner and serves the hello-world through an object. If you would now somewhere a bit more detailed desription about swazoo, that would be nice.) Nevertheless, I have to run apache on my server, for serving the other site, so the proxy part is only an additional task for it and no reason for an initial install of apache. And maybe I can limit the access to swazoo only from localhost in this case (I have to say, that I 'hate' the iptable-thing on linux, I'm a much greater fan of the freebsd ipfw, but that's a bit OT here...)

 > - Do you hide the /seaside/ path somehow for the user?

If you want this, you have to make the root entry point the WAApplication instead of using a WADispatcher as Seaside does by default.

Maybe (I currently don't know, I have to try it first) this would also be possible by using apache as a reverse-proxy...? (I'll see)

click Override in decoration classes. They are not necessary, but very useful.

Ah great! :-D eventually it's working :-D
(I was a bit despaired about that, but now :-) everything is fine!)

Tomorow, I will take some time to tinker around a little bit with seaside (and I'd like to prepare a new post about Gtk and TreeViews)

Thanks again! :-)

Joachim.