Re: [Help-smalltalk] A funny problem

From: Stefan Schmiedl
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] A funny problem
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:36:30 +0100

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:58:06 +0200
Bèrto ëd Sèra <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > cheap RFIDs attached to the doorframe?
>
> That would be the basic idea, but how do you use them with gst? Is
> there any ready/solid lib to manage them? Probably a stupid question,
> but since I never used RFIDs I'd hate to find out an endless amount of
> trouble after accepting the job.

Just a random pick from googling "usb rfid reader linux"

http://www.b-production.org/brosura_ang_print.pdf

"Once the reader is plugged to the PC with Windows, Linux or
MacOS operating system, the system recognizes it as a HID
(Human Interface Device) keyboard, and therefore doesn't
need any special drivers to function properly."

Looks like they do what barcode scanners do: behave like a
keyboard. So if you go that way, you now know that there is
"easy" hardware.

Come to think of it, if it's to be deployed to a hospital,
make sure that these things don't interfere with any medical
equipment.

s.