Re: [Help-smalltalk] Hello list

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Hello list
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:42:43 +0200

On 05/20/2010 10:18 AM, Marc Hanisch wrote:
In GNU Smalltalk, the image is used mostly as a cache of preloaded
packages.  It allows very fast startup because all the code is already
compiled and converted to objects (instances of Class, CompiledMethod,
etc.).  See also

    http://smalltalk.gnu.org/faq/37

which expands a bit on this topic.

I'm currently editing my class files with an editor. Implies the use
of images, that I have to edit my classes inside of gst? Or can I mix
both approaches?

People who edit their classes inside GST will have to answer. :-)

But yes, you can in general mix both approaches. The most common way is to make an image with some packages preloaded (e.g. Seaside or Iliad) and then you load your code into it. That's much faster than waiting for GST to reload code from the entire web framework (and dependent packages) everytime.

And to be honestly, the GNU Smalltalk documentation is not the best
and clearly one...

What did you find confusing, exactly?

The users guide is somewhat undidactic. There are no words about the
differences between the standard and GNU Smalltalk (for example the
braces in methods, the different initialisation of instance and class
variables (instanceVariableNames, classVariableNames etc)) in the
introduction. This makes it hard for new users :-)

Thanks. The tutorial is supposed to be a bit more complete about that, but it's not optimal (and a cross-reference would help).