Re: [Help-smalltalk] Persistency

From: Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Persistency
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 20:29:10 +0200

El 28/05/2010, a las 17:31, Paolo Bonzini escribió:

DBI (MySql, Postgres)? some tutorial or something to learn how to use it?,
other type of persistence?

MySQL or Postgres are a good choice.  Alternatively SandstoneDb, or
ObjectDumper, or just image-based persistance.  If you don't use a
"real" database, however, I'd develop also a secondary persistance
scheme (based on XML or something like that) to use in case something
goes wrong in the image.

Yes, I though about this.My initial idea is working in memory with some persistence to this.

I don't know how exactly SandstoneDB works, I only readed a little about it, but one of my ideas, is take it, study it a little, and modify to persist to plain text in a legible format (I don't know if SandstoneDB do this....something like YAML), for a second parallel project I have in mind with a friend (a txt db). A little concept, in spanish, from begining of 2009 ( http://www.lordzealon.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=gnustep:idea_principal )

The problem with my project TXTDB, is, thath was born as a one-user database. And for this project, I'm worried because, I don't know nothing about developing DBs, and Object DBs less :P and this, could be an ambitious project. What happen with multiuser? This needs an engine controlling transactions, locks, and so on, and I think I don't have time and knowledge to afford something like this. Probably, in the future? I don't know now.

About the main topic, the SaaS project, will be a little bills/quotes application. And will be more than one user at time working with the app.

With SaaS concept in mind, is probably will be more than one user, from more than one company. I suppose, in this situation, each company may need his own instance of GST.

For all of this, I asked for the best option well knowed and stable.

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz
Blog: http://www.lordzealon.com
Twitter & Skype & GoogleTalk accounts: glpunzi