Re: [Help-smalltalk] State of the PetitParser

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] State of the PetitParser
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 12:08:42 +0200

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 12:03, Holger Hans Peter Freyther
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 08/29/2010 05:57 PM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
>
>> Okay... self position of a PositionableParser returns 0 on start, so I have
>> added + 1 and now it seems to work nicely. at least all test cases patch, I
>> will now update to the latest version of the code.
>
> hmmm... so there must be something else that is different from squeak to gst
> as 'a' readStream position obviously returns 0 in both cases...

There are two possible causes:

- The implementation of Streams is different.  The two instance
variables have similar meanings, but the details (e.g. 0- or 1-based)
could differ.

- I don't know if Squeak supports #copyFrom:to: on Streams at all, but
if so that may be different as well.  In GNU Smalltalk, #copyFrom:to:
on Streams is 0-based. While inconsistent with collections, this makes
(a lot of) sense for consistency with the values returned by
#position.