Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importan

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 13:42:57 +0000

> On Jan 11, 2024, at 22:04, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Daniel Cerqueira <dan.list@brilhante.top>
>> Cc: Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr>,
>>  jean.christophe.helary@traductaire-libre.org,  stefankangas@gmail.com,
>>  vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  rms@gnu.org,
>>  help-texinfo@gnu.org
>> Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 12:48:46 +0000
>>
>>> The translator doesn't always know whether a translated manual exists
>>> when the translation is being written.  And even if a translated
>>> manual does exist, there's no reason to be sure it will be installed
>>> on the end-user's system.
>>>
>>> So it would be good to have some Texinfo feature that would make the
>>> behavior of Info readers more user-friendly in these cases.  Right
>>> now, the Texinfo features that can help are @documentlanguage and the
>>> suggestion by Gavin to have in the translated manual an @anchor for
>>> each @node with the original English name of that @node.
>>>
>> How come the translator doesn't always know whether a translated manual
>> exists?

Eli replied. But the discussion comes from an exchange on Emacs-devel
where we raised the issue of incomplete manual “sets” where some
manuals are translated but refer to manuals that may not yet be
translated, etc. and that information may or may not be shared in the
translators’ teams and may or may not be available to the end user, who
may, or may not install all the translated manuals or only a number of
them.

Hence the question of how we inform that user that the link she clicked
on refers to something that may or may not be translated. The temporary
conclusion is that it would be nice to have an error message that gives
enough information in that regard, or provide a system that attempts to
look up existing manuals, etc.

Manuals distributed with Emacs are not massively translated (yet), but
since they are the place where most of the linking is taking place
(think of the web of links between the Emacs manual and Emacs Lisp
reference), it would be nice to find a solution that satisfies the need
of the Emacs distribution but also of the other TexInfo based manual
distributions. Hence the discussion being moved here.