help-zile

Re: [zile-devel] Woot, we may soon be obsolete!

From: Stephan Titard
Subject: Re: [zile-devel] Woot, we may soon be obsolete!
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 11:09:07 +0200

Reuben Thomas escribió:
I see someone has finally re-ported mg (the OpenBSD mini-Emacs) to Linux (it's just gone into Debian unstable), so we may soon be able to shut up shop and go home! Here's hoping...

hi, a few months ago my need of a small and fast editor made me look into zile... (actually it is a constant need, I believe in the cooperation of small tools, an the struggle is tougher as time goes bye...)
- was able to compile it easily on cygwin
- was not able to compile it on HP-UX 11.0 ...probably needs a better curses (ncurses)
(I plan to make it work on various versions of solaris)

I looked also at the code to see I could extend it myself
some areas that interest me were
- UTF8 (and I looked at what the joe people did)
- syntax colorization (for this joe has also something extendible ... I am not sure how big it is) - have a true lisp: tinyscheme on sourceforge seems quite interesting and small (is the internal lisp used by zile usable for something which is more than config? like a code snippet or a function...) - turning on or off features at run-time is not so easy (to do that properly you need true dynamic loading like perl etc...)
 but I can have different versions: a small one and a bigger one

are all these things the kind of stuff you are planning to put into zee (with maybe some kind of plugin arquitecture)?

any advice? what I really like is something versatile enough so that I can hook it into anything, maintainable... (I mean not just for today, but for the next 10 years, that can compete with bloatware IDEs) the keyboard/character set interface is for me very important: (for example, recently I have been stuggling with an issue regarding spanish keyboard and roman8 native character set...why is that stuff always so complicated!)

finally is (and will) the main line of development for zile and zee (be) mainly linux?

thanks
--stephan