help-zile

Re: [zile-devel] Woot, we may soon be obsolete!

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: [zile-devel] Woot, we may soon be obsolete!
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:08:28 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Stephan Titard wrote:

I looked also at the code to see I could extend it myself
some areas that interest me were
- UTF8 (and I looked at what the joe people did)

That's on the wishlist, it's a biggie, obviously.

- syntax colorization (for this joe has also something extendible ... I
am not sure how big it is)

Zile used to have this, and I got rid of it as being superfluous. However, the code was dog-ugly, and something nicer (and not written by me!) would be fine, especially if it could be configured out.

- have a true lisp: tinyscheme on sourceforge seems quite interesting
and small

The current Lisp implementation in Zile is actually a hacked-down small lisp interpreter (lithp 0.6). One of my iron rules at the moment is "Zile is a strict subset of Emacs", so this (and indeed syntax colouring) would be hard to add without breaking it (or bloating it).

 but I can have different versions: a small one and a bigger one

Yes, I think that's sufficient.

are all these things the kind of stuff you are planning to put into zee
(with maybe some kind of plugin arquitecture)?

No: the point of Zee is mostly to take things out.

any advice? what I really like is something versatile enough so that I
can hook it into anything, maintainable...

Zile is much cleaner than it was when I took it on; there's a lot of additional cleaning work that has gone into Zee that could be backported to Zile. I think it can be a stable and comprehensible code-base to hack on for a while. I'd be very happy if someone else who wanted to develop Zile took it over.

finally is (and will) the main line of development for zile and zee (be) mainly linux?

As long as I'm in charge and love Linux, yes. I don't see myself changing OSes any time soon, but it's not really a big issue as I really am programming to POSIX, not Linux.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/
My dark path darkens; rise over the mountain, distant moon (Murasaki)