libmicrohttpd

Re: [libmicrohttpd] Using MHD_stop_daemon with signal() or elsewhere?

From: Gavin Henry
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] Using MHD_stop_daemon with signal() or elsewhere?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 19:16:45 +0000

> Hi Gavin,

Hi Evgeny,

> Using graceful closure is one of the vital thing for correct
> implementation of any application.

Understood.

> Of course you *must* call MHD_stop_daemon() as it stops MHD threads,
> free memory, closes sockets, and does other cleanups.

Thanks. I understand closing the sockets, but the OS/kernel will do
all the rest no?

I need mhd always on until the application quits. What happens after
that the OS/kernel will sort.

> Not calling this function is like allocating memory without deallocating.

I don't think that's the same at all. MHD doesn't perform badly nor
does my application leak memory if I don't call MHD_stop_daemon(). It
restarts just fine.

> If your application is designed to work as systemd daemon, you must
> handle SIGTERM signal to properly close/free all resources before final
> exit.

Is there some guidance on that systemd requirement? Will Google.

Thanks.

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.