libredwg

Re: [libredwg] Python bindings

From: Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
Subject: Re: [libredwg] Python bindings
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 01:28:14 +0200

On 23 August 2010 22:48, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My Name is Matteo, I would like to know in witch stage is the development of
> the python binding of the libredwg.

Hello Matteo! Well, I would say that python support is close to zero.
Felipe has committed some boilerplate code, but I am not sure if that
works. We think about using SWIG in order to generate bindings
automatically.

> Actually I'm developing PythonCAD and we are looking at some way to read
> write dxf\dwg file.
> Some work is already started in python with dxf and with dwg but I would
> prefer having an external lib to do my import export operation.

That is a wise choice. The problem with bindings is that we haven't
defined an API yet, mainly because, from the library side, we don't
know what the client wants. At least I can tell you that we are going
to release write support for R2000 pretty soon. Anyway, if that's
something you're planning for now I could take a look at it, since it
is very important for us to have client applications using our
library, even if we're still alpha and haven't made a release yet.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

--
Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
PoliGNU - Grupo de Estudos de Software Livre da Poli/USP