libreplanet-ca-on

[lp-ca-on] Canadian .tax file layout

From: Greg Knittl
Subject: [lp-ca-on] Canadian .tax file layout
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 21:27:42 -0400

Sergio,

I dusted off Dad's old Vista computer and dug up .tax files for 2009 to 2013. Starting with 2011 the .tax files are in xml format. I note that there is indeed a <comm:SoftwareID> field that is going to require a special id to fill out (legally).

For 2014 and 2015 I've submitted on paper the 2 T1s and 1 T3 returns that I have to complete. I write my own spreadsheet-like software in XSLT to do the calculations so I can't comment on the current ways to upload the .tax information. I do the calculations once in my software and then cross check when I fill out some of the forms by hand. It's tedious but the CRA usually agrees with the calculations.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/rf/xmlspcs2016/menu-eng.html is for entities that have to prepare tax slips, I don't see the T1 return in that list. However, if the CRA can publish the slip submission specs, then all the more reason for the CRA to publish the T1 submission specs.

www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4018/html/rc4018ch1-15e.html is a bit closer to T1 net file specs but it's not quite specs. I think Stewart's idea of requesting the layout through Open Data is worthwhile at least to try and clarify what the issue is with the CRA.

As for reverse engineering - it looks to me like some of the fields include cents and some are dollars only with rounding/trucation to be determined. There is probably no need to share the whole tax file. I could write an XSLT transform to boil it down to a list of fields so that if a developer has questions about a specific field they could contact you.

Stewart:

I don't see your request on http://open.canada.ca/en/suggested-datasets yet. Did they make any commitment to get back to you? I'd be glad to submit a copy of your request if that can help.

Allan:

I agree with you that the CRA should provide all the software required to file online in the same way that they provide all the forms required to file on paper. However, I would expect the existing Canadian Tax Software industry to fight this tooth and nail. I think it would take a fairly broad coalition of groups to push this through. I'm assuming it might be easier politically to get the specs to allow us to write our own but I don't know - sometimes it's easier to aim big.

A couple of ideas to toss out for discussion:

If the CRA refuses to open up the protocol to submit the .tax file and give out a do-it-yourself SoftwareID then I suppose it's possible to create the xml files to the best of our ability, print them and submit them on paper instead of submitting the paper forms. This could be a way to force the CRA to take a position on opening up netfiling.

Libre Planet Ontario could apply for a SoftwareID and see where that leads.

Greg