libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Canadian .tax file layout

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Canadian .tax file layout
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 00:31:44 -0400

On 07/05/16 08:24 PM, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
> On Saturday, May 07 2016, Blaise Alleyne wrote:

>>> OK, a few thoughts here.
>>>
>>> Stewart already mentioned, but it seems to me that the NETFILE is a XML
>>> file.  If that is correct, then "obtaining the layout" can be as simple
>>> as looking at the file itself.  No need to worry about binary data, etc.
>>>
>>> I'd be interested in knowing if you still have access to those .tax
>>> files you created in the past.  They may prove really useful in
>>> understanding the format and coming up with our own hand-crafted
>>> specification (that is, while the government doesn't provide an official
>>> one).
>>>
>>> Also, I have never used a software to prepare the declaration.  From
>>> what you said above, now you don't really need to upload the .tax file
>>> by hand, right?  So I assume the software will do that for you...  But
>>> does the software offer an option to export the declaration in the .tax
>>> format?  If yes, then that also may be a good starting point to
>>> understand the specs.  Otherwise, it should be possible to intercept the
>>> packages and see what is being sent over the network (but I'm getting
>>> ahead of myself). [...]
>>>

>> I have used UFile.ca for the past several years to file my taxes (it's gratis
>> for U of T students...). They do let you export the .tax file.
>>
>> Doing a quick `locate`, I've downloaded and saved the .tax file for at least
>> few years. I'd be happy to make mine available to developers if it helps.
>
> Nice!  Out of curiosity, are they in binary format, or in text (XML,
> perhaps)?

I did try to look at one of them quickly in less, and it was some kind of binary
format -- couldn't see any XML.

> Also, there's an obvious privacy issue here because someone would have
> to see and examine your .tax file(s).  In order to avoid that, I was
> wondering if it is possible (and if you are able) to create a "dummy"
> tax report, using fake values and data.  WDYT?

Ah, yeah. First I was thinking, whatever, it's easier just to share it. But I
guess I wasn't thinking about all the personal identity information that would
be in there too. I don't care so much about sharing around income or expenses,
but the file probably contains my home address, SIN, etc. So I guess creating a
dummy file would be necessary.

>> There's more information on NETFILE software here:
>> http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/ndvdls/netfile-impotnet/crtfdsftwr/menu-eng.html
>
> Hm, cool.  I also found the link I mentioned:
>
>   <http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/rf/xmlspcs2016/menu-eng.html>
>
> Apparently the specs for most(?) forms are described there.

Also, from further thought and just glancing at those specs, I'm not sure how
helpful old .tax files would be? If the specification has changed?

Did you have any experience keeping up with changes in Brazil, Sergio, or was it
pretty stable?