libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Ontario government forms

From: Daniel Villarreal
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Ontario government forms
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 18:35:54 -0400

On 05/18/2016 04:29 PM, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 18 2016, Daniel Villarreal wrote:
>
>> ... forms at the Government of Ontario Central Forms Repository
>> http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/
>>
>> I found ... AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i486linux_enu.rpm  05/10/2013 Using
>> this, it's possible to nominally see a form, but I get
>> messages...
>>
>> Cannot Save Form Information ... cannot save a completed copy ...
>> a copy ... fill it in and print it. -- Warning: Javascript
>> Windows Please choose your status first
>>
>> I don't expect to be able to do other than what the "Cannot Save
>> Form Information" message indicates (using Adobe Acrobat for
>> GNU/Linux), but is there a better, more free/libre way to do
>> this? ...
>>
>> Evince viewer indicates "... requires Adobe Reader 8 or
>> higher..." and (evince... Unimplemented action:
>> POPPLER_ACTION_JAVASCRIPT ... please post a bug report...
>>
>> LibreOffice (Version: 5.0.6.2, Supplied by Fedora Project), gv
>> viewer and PDFEdit give similar error.
>
> Hey Daniel,
>
> Every time I had to deal with forms from both the Ontario
> government and the Federal government, there was really no easy way
> to use Free Software tools to fill them.  What I chose to do was
> set up a VM without network access and install Adobe Acrobat there.
> This is far from the best solution, but that's the best I could do
> at the time.

Hey Sergio, Thanks for your info. Running an old version of Adobe
Acrobat (see above) on current stable Fedora GNU/Linux is enough for
me to see the document for the moment (I haven't completely filled out
a form with it yet), but I don't consider it a solution. I think that
for me to continue doing this without at least making a formal request
to the Crown to come up with a free/libre solution is almost
tantamount to me promoting closed-source/non-free/non-libre software.

> I don't think you'll be able to find any Free Software program that
> can do what the government wants with those PDF files.

Maybe a study is in order. Hmm.

later,
Daniel

- --
Daniel Villarreal
http://www.youcanlinux.org
address@hidden
PGP key 2F6E 0DC3 85E2 5EC0 DA03  3F5B F251 8938 A83E 7B49
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF2518938A83E7B49