libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Ontario government forms

From: Bob Jonkman
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Ontario government forms
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 14:44:53 -0400

Greg wrote:
> I suspect the government uses some of these (pdf) formats for
> "security". They think it's like paper because they think people
> can't or won't modify it.

Absolutely true. For a while in the early 2000's the City of Toronto
was distributing ward maps as PDFs, which they had "locked" to
disallow printing. That stopped people who used Adobe products, but it
was almost trivial to unlock those PDFs and print the maps with
GhostScript and GhostView, even on a Windows computer. And then it was
possible to save the unlocked files as printable PDFs.

Security isn't possible in non-FAIF products.

- --Bob.