libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Podcast for our Mumble meetings?

From: Sergio Durigan Junior
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Podcast for our Mumble meetings?
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 19:06:50 -0400

On Monday, May 30 2016, Bob Jonkman wrote:

> Hi all: We're building up a nice collection of audio files from our
> Mumble meetings. Is there any interest in creating a podcast from them?

I guess so, yeah.  And thanks for bringing this topic to our attention,
Bob.

I suck at editing audio files, but I can try to provide storage if
needed, on my personal server.

> http://sobac.com/LUGs/LibrePlanetOntario/
>
> Even if such a podcast doesn't have wide appeal, it would be useful to
> other LibrePlanet Ontario members.  And just the exercise of creating
> a podcast would be useful experience.

Agreed.

> Paul Nijjar of KWLUG did  a presentation on how he creates the
> podcasts of the KWLUG meetings: http://kwlug.org/node/936
>
> I don't think we need to support non-free audio formats, and I'd
> rather not depend on Archive.org for hosting (they've taken down some
> video I created for OpenDataDay).

Totally agreed about not support non-free audio formats.

> I looked (very!) briefly for software that can take a collection of
> audio files and generate an Atom/RSS feed out of them, but didn't find
> anything that would work. Does anyone know of something?

Well, MediaGoblin comes to mind...  Aside from that, I guess any simple
WordPress might be able to handle this, right?

> If we do create a podcast it would be nice to have some bumper music
> as an intro and an outro. Does anyone know where we could get some
> original Free Culture music? ;-)

Free Music Archive is where many Free Culture artists put their work.
It's a nice repository of songs.

> If this becomes a regular thing then I'll work harder to improve the
> audio quality at my end. I really don't live in a tin can!

Cool!  And just to remind: everybody can record our meetings (it's
pretty easy to set up the Mumble client to do that, and it even offers
recording each person in a separate track), so we can guarantee that
if Bob gets disconnected he won't lose anything.

Cheers,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36