lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2658 in lilypond: wrong stem rendering (incons

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2658 in lilypond: wrong stem rendering (inconsistent thickness)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:04:55 +0000

Comment #75 on issue 2658 by address@hidden: wrong stem rendering (inconsistent thickness)

Sigh. File size increase: the path for a rounded rectangle has quartercircles at its corners. PDF can only represent Bezier splines in paths. So converting PostScript to PDF will produce lots of splines in order to have "correct" quartercircles.

The previous representation was one of stroking a rectangle with a circular pen (which is representable in PDF) and filling it afterwards. But this does not work well with the imaging model of Cairo, and it does not rasterize fabulously well, either. I am slowly coming to the conviction that we should produce different output for PostScript and PDF, that neither should be converted into the other, and that we are likely best off junking the use of Ghostscript for pretty much everything. Its imaging models don't match the output devices we want to be working with. Possibly excepting black&white printers _without_ an intermediate PDF stage. But who works with actual PostScript files for print?