lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3904 in lilypond: robots.txt: disallow old sta

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3904 in lilypond: robots.txt: disallow old stable and old development doc
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 08:51:19 +0000

Comment #7 on issue 3904 by address@hidden: robots.txt: disallow old stable and old development doc

The problem is syntax change, I think.
Imagine that someone finds a solution on lilypond-user archives which
points to an explanation in the docs. If doc/stable is used, he may be
pointed to a page where something has changed (or maybe the node name has
been renamed; in that case, I think that he would be redirected some levels
up).

doc/stable redirect is useful when you want to create a permanent link to
the latest stable doc, for example in a README file.

I don't know much about SEO, but I see your point. It's a trade-off with
the problem of syntax change mentioned above.

Anyway, I wonder if it really matters... The links of the website are
always the same, because they are in the root directory. And documentation
links should point to a specific version, for the reasons explained before.