Re: <<aes,2. \\ {s4 ees2} \\ {s2 bes4}>>

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: <<aes,2. \\ {s4 ees2} \\ {s2 bes4}>>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2019 10:41:42 -0800

On 2019-01-04 9:12 am, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:
On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 1:45 PM Thomas Morley <address@hidden>
wrote:

A dot is missing.
That's because the two dots are of the two aes2. are joined into one
single dot. Which is hidden by \hideNotes.

Cheers,
  Harm

holy moly, this way of notating is so wrong I had no idea what was actually going on. So, what's happening here is that the aes and the ees both start on the first beat? They're simultaneous, but offset horizontally and with
their stems pointing opposite from normal?

I believe this is a 3/4 measure where each note begins on subsequent beats and is sustained for the remaining beats. That is, it is a slowly arpeggiated chord.

You could probably write it...

    { <aes,~>4 <aes,~ ees~> <aes, ees, bes> }

...to better show the progressive building of the chord with the drawback that it is visually more dense with all of the extra notes and ties. I think the original engraver wanted a way to save ink.

Yeesh, that is terrible.This is why it's important to follow good notation practice: I was so confused by this bad typesetting that I thought the bar
was 6/4 time, and now my day is ruined.

Unless someone is doing academic work where it is critical for the typesetting to precisely match that of a reference work, all new typesetting ideally should follow the current wisdom of notation. There is little reason to continue to propagate archaic and non-standard practices, especially if they are more likely to cause confusion.

Go to the pub and have a beer. Hopefully the rest of your day can be salvaged.

-- Aaron Hill