Re: Altering page numbers

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Altering page numbers
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 10:38:55 -0500

Hi David,

> Judging from all the searching I have done I think that the answer to
> the following question is "no": is there a way to override automatic
> page-numbering after the first page?

In the last fifteen years, I’ve learned never to bet against Lilypond…  ;)

> I have several pages of introductory and performance notes in the score
> I am currently working on, followed by about 150 pages of score.  I
> should like to have the pages before the actual score numbered in lower
> case Roman numerals, followed by the score pages numbered in Arabic
> numerals starting at 1.  But I cannot find any way to do this.

Just in case you’re interested in my [not-just-Lilypond] workflow: I find it
easiest, best, and superior (in terms of output) to build the front matter and
end matter in LaTeX (with its own page numbering), and then simply insert the
Lilypond score (with its own page numbering) as a PDF at the correct spot.

> Is there any way of achieving the result I want whilst keeping the
> whole book in one actual \book block and hence one output file?

Use multiple bookpart sections?  =)

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer