Ligatures, lyrics, and other arcana

From: Mark Probert
Subject: Ligatures, lyrics, and other arcana
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 12:40:25 +1100

Hi, again.

I'm getting out of my depth here but is it possible
to set lyrics to mensural ligatures? I can't seem to
get the following to work.

Also, following the example [1] I don't seem to be
able to get the ligature-flexa to work (2.19.82/OSX).
I've tried quite a few flexa-widths but nothing seems
to work...

TIA  .. mark.

[1]
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/typesetting-mensural-music#white-mensural-ligatures

---
chant = \relative c { \clef bass
    \set Score.timing = ##f
    \set Score.defaultBarType = "-"

    \[ c\maxima b\longa a\maxima \]
    \[ c\maxima
       \override NoteHead.ligature-flexa = ##t
       \once \override NoteHead.flexa-width = #10
       f,\longa \]
    \[ c'\maxima a\maxima \]
}
verba = \lyricmode { 4 2 4  4 2  4 4 }

\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice  = "melody" \chant
    \new Lyrics = "one"   \lyricsto melody \verba

  \layout {
    \context { \Staff
       \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
       \override NoteHead.style = #'baroque