setting one \book to landscape

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: setting one \book to landscape
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 12:39:45 +0100

Hi List,

I have an input file with the following structure:

\paper {
  #(set-default-paper-size "a3" )
}

\include "file 1 - content.ly"
\include "file 2 - content.ly"

\book {
\include "file 1 - score.ly"
}

\book {
\include "file 2 - score.ly"
}

The second file has its own paper block as follows:

\paper {
  #(set-paper-size "a3" 'landscape )
  two-sided = "false"
  left-margin = 5\mm
  right-margin = 15\mm
   #(define fonts
     (set-global-fonts
      #:factor (/ staff-height pt 24 )
      ))
  system-system-spacing.basic-distance = #36
  score-system-spacing =
    #'((basic-distance . 24)
       (minimum-distance . 12)
       (padding . 8)
       (stretchability . 12))

}

However, for reasons I don't understand, the system on that second page is squashed horizontally, as if the system could only stretch to fill a portrait-oriented page. Also, the staves are too close together vertically, with no vertical distance given.

Is there something I'm doing wrong with my layout or the file structure? The first file is a portrait-format a3 sheet with over 40 voice parts; the second should be a landscape-format a3 sheet with maybe 10 staves, both scaled appropriately. So far, only the scaling and spacing on the first file works right.

Thanks for the help,