Re: Appoggiatura before barline

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Appoggiatura before barline
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 23:47:56 +0100

Hi Harm,

thank you for pointing me to that (and actually now I recall having seen this hack some day).

Am 18.01.19 um 21:14 schrieb Thomas Morley:
Am Fr., 18. Jan. 2019 um 19:14 Uhr schrieb Urs Liska <address@hidden>:
Is there any convenient and semantically acceptable way of engraving an
appoggiatura (or other grace notes) *before* the barline? I know that
usually one is pointed to \afterGrace to achieve something like that but
that seems semantically problematic. I produced the attached image using
a bunch of extra-offset overrides and a drastic \shape - which is
inconvenient.

Thanks for any ideas.
Urs
Hi Urs,

you could try to use David K's cheat:

{
  R1
  %% default
  \appoggiatura d''8 c''4 r2.
  %% cheated
  \appoggiatura { \bar "" d''8 \bar "|" } c''4 r2.
}

It has it's own drawbacks, though.

I can confirm both that it works and that it isn't perfect yet. As you can see in the attachedimage the spacing around the barline is much looser than between the other appoggiaturas. However, as this approach can conveniently be wrapped in a function

preBarAppoggiatura =
#(define-music-function (content)(ly:music?)
   #{
     \appoggiatura { \bar "" #content \bar "|" }
   #})

I'm confident that I can create a fix that is transparent in the input file - if the client should request better spacing at all.

Thanks
Urs

Cheers,
  Harm