Re: Configuration Point & Click

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Configuration Point & Click
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 22:13:18 -0600

On Thu 31 Jan 2019 at 15:16:47 (-0700), foxfanfare wrote:
> OK, I tried
>
> $ vim --servername foo --remote test.ly
> (which gives me the output E247: no registered server named "VIM": Send
> failed. Trying to execute locally)

And I hope that succeeded in opening the file (but not as a server).
Just close that again.

> and also
>
> $ vim --servername foo test.ly

I hope you got a startup screen. On my system, that displays:

~                    VIM - Vi IMproved
~
~                     version 8.0.707
~                 by Bram Moolenaar et al.
~ Modified by address@hidden
~       Vim is open source and freely distributable
~
~              Help poor children in Uganda!
~      type  :help iccf<Enter>       for information
~
~      type  :q<Enter>               to exit
~      type  :help<Enter>  or  <F1>  for on-line help
~      type  :help version8<Enter>   for version info

> But when opening the PDF file in vim, I still get the same error messages...

What PDF? Please show the actual commands you used.

You need to start the server *before* you try to connect to it with a client:

$ vim --servername foo

and then, at a different location, type:

$ vim --servername foo --remote test.ly

and that should open test.ly in the server (at the original location).

Cheers,
David.