Re: Use arbitrary notes (with stem/flag) as MMR stencil override

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Use arbitrary notes (with stem/flag) as MMR stencil override
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 10:50:55 -0500

Hi Urs,

> I'd think that MMRs are generally the only items that are printed in the
> middle of a measure.

No: MMRs [essentially always], measure numbers [often], final single-note
columns [in many engravings], boxed markup/instructions inside the staff [in
modern music], over-staff markups ["Safety", fermata, etc.].

I’m sure there are more — that list was just off the top of my head.

> Probably one would have to see how the MultiMeasureRest originally performs
> its centering and learn from that (but I'd expect this to be in the C++ part).

Yes, this is kind of what I’m hinting towards: I’m wondering if, in the C++
part, an interface could be added which centres a given grob in the middle of
the current measure. (I assume the implementation would then have to be
"retrofitted" onto MMRs to duplicate the current behaviour.)

I’ll be interested to hear what others think about the possibilities.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info