Re: Use arbitrary notes (with stem/flag) as MMR stencil override

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Use arbitrary notes (with stem/flag) as MMR stencil override
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 15:45:33 -0500

Hi David,

> They are completely different functions and rely on different
> information getting collected and processed by the respective engravers.
> So you cannot just merge them into one function that then does different
> things dependent on some centre-in-measure flag.

As is so often the case, I don’t seem to be asking the right question(s), or
else I’m asking the right question(s) in a way that does not result in helpful
answer(s).

So here goes another attempt to as the right question, or ask it in the right
way:

Is it really the case that the best way for Lilypond to centre things in
measures is the current ad-hoc grab-bag of built-in algorithms (cf. MMRs) and
distinct hacks (David N’s measure-centred spanners, Harm’s
note-column-centering, etc. etc. etc.), as opposed to building a single,
consistent, shared mechanism that could be used / adapted / leveraged /
referenced / whatever by any grob [type] that wanted to be centred in a measure?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info