Re: Transpose from major to minor key

From: Wol
Subject: Re: Transpose from major to minor key
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 23:03:17 +0000

On 10/01/2024 21:26, Butter Cream wrote:
Hi, I have a piece of music written in the key of G major and I want the pitches to transpose to e minor. How do I do this.

When I use the command \transpose g e it changes to E major (all g notes are sharped)

You need to remember lilypond thinks in terms of pitch, not note names. Unlike some (most?) other music software. So "\transpose g e" says "transpose EVERY note up A TONE".

As someone who plays a transposing instrument, this is very important to me - if my part gets transposed and others don't, the resulting piece of music is going to sound awful.

I get the sort of transposition you want CAN be useful, and I'm glad it's available, but for my normal, I want transpose to behave the way it does. I work at score level in concert pitch, and then have to print off my parts transposed as appropriate. If transpose starts mucking about with modes, all of my parts are going to be a mess.

Cheers,
Wol