lout-users

Re: How to place a figure at a location instead of the next page?

From: Julius Paul Malkiewicz
Subject: Re: How to place a figure at a location instead of the next page?
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 17:14:46 +1100

On Wed, 08 Nov 1995 11:59:22 CDT; Byron Newberry writes:

>       @Figure
>       @Caption{Schematic of Cable System}
>       {1.3, 1.0} @Scale @IncludeGraphic cable.eps
>
> it places the figure at the top of the next page (as it should based
> on the manual).  However, I want it to be placed immediately following
> the paragraph inwhich I discuss the graph (there is plenty of space on
> the page).  I can manually place the postscript image, but how do I get
> the figure label and increment the figure numbering?  All help is
> appreciated.

Hello back!
        Hmm .. intersesting.  I am aware that there have been several
solutions, but I worked this one out (just last week! .. I'm a final year
Electrical Engineering student .. just finished my thesis .. and had the
same need as you for immediate documents .. so here's a quickie!).

since @Figures goes into @FigurePlace, all you really need to do is get
an @FigurePlace where you want to place the figure (similar, an @TablePlace for
an @Table).  So ... just (in a mydefs, or wherever you place special
definitions) put in something similar to:

        extend @DocumentLayout
        def @FFiigg { @FigurePlace }

the "extend @DocumentLayout" is needed since we cannot normally use
@FigurePlace in normal documents (it doesn't get exported by DocumentLayout).

Anyway ... you need to also add spaces above and below this (I think ..
perhaps use @TopGap in the definition itself!).

I hope this help .. (perhaps not, given the other replies that you've had.)
But ... perhaps somebody else may like it a little better 8->.

        Cheers!
        - Julius.