lout-users

Spacing

From: Peter Preus
Subject: Spacing
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 14:00:41 +0100

In Latex you get usually additional space after the end of a sentence.
This can be very ugly in a German document where you often have
abbreviated words within a sentence (Dr.  d.h.  i.allg.  usw.  etc.)
after which Latex is allowed to put that additional end of sentence
space. In order avoid that spacing you may insert \ after the dot in
the middle of the sentence (Dr.\), which is not done in most cases,
because people do not know that feature or do not see that extra space,
which is not mandatory but only optional to get a nice appearance.

Therefore it is advisable for German texts to use \frenchspacing
which avoids extra spacing at the end of the sentence at all.

I do not know how it is done or will be done in lout, but my wishes
go for a user friendly way to handle it.

Peter