lout-users

Version 3.09 now considered reliable

From: Jeffrey H Kingston
Subject: Version 3.09 now considered reliable
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 11:56:52 +0100

It was my intention to release a Version 3.10 about this time, being
Version 3.09 with any minor alterations shown to be needed by people's
experience with Version 3.09.

However I have now realized that other commitments mean that I will not
be able to get around to releasing Version 3.10 for about six weeks.  That
is, middle to late November.

If you are waiting for the new features in these versions, you might
prefer to get Version 3.09 now.  Although still officially unreliable,
there have been no major problems with it.  It works well.

My apologies for the delay.  I'm fairly confident of meeting the
middle to late November date.

Jeff Kingston

-----------
Changes and new features introduced in Version 3.09

    Bug fixes
    French hyphenation
    foll_or_prec works in all cases now, not just galleys (for expert users)
    @Enclose symbol (for expert users)
    Multi-page figures and tables can be boxed (revised @Format option)
    Optimal paragraph breaker has been tuned to discourage widow words,
      and to hyphenate more paragraphs but use fewer hyphens when it does
    More consistent set of setup files since all now derived from one master
    Setup files "doc" and "report" now work with plain text output
    Unpaginated (continuous) plain text output
    @FirstChapterNumber, @FirstSectionNumber etc. options in setup file
    Alternative error message format (filename:linenum:colnum: ...)
    Newline no longer needed at end of file
    New diagram drawing package called Diag (replaces Fig):
      many new link types; trees; labelled nodes and links; many useful options
    New "oragged" paragraph breaking style, combines ragged and outdent
    Comprehensive usage message printed by "lout -u"
    Horizontal spacing of subscripts in equations (both eq and teq) improved