lout-users

Re: references in order of appearance (again)

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: references in order of appearance (again)
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 19:19:03 +0400

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 19:41:05 +0300, Mikko Huhtala wrote:

> I need to generate reference lists that are in order of the appearance of
> the citations in the text.

> Is there some way around the sorting problem? The citations I can live
> with, or fix by editing PostScript if I must. I know that adding the
> feature properly to Lout is difficult (I'd still like to see it :-)

The "correct" solution for this problem would be, so to say,
"unsorted" galleys.  That is galleys with a @Key but that don't use
the @Key for sorting and only use it to exclude/merge duplicates.
Then you can use unsorted references section (i.e. in order of @Cite)
but use reference @Tag as the @Key to elimitane duplicates.

I thought you could setup a clever mash of counters to number
references as they appear, but you would need a way to check for
duplicates (i.e. when you refered again to the work you had already
referred to).  To do this you need to know if the tag has been already
seen in *this* run.  But @Foo&&tag will give you the xref from the
previous run and so is not suitable.  What you need to know is if,
say, @Tagged will issue a "used previously" warning for the given tag,
but that's not in the language.

PS: :-)

An amuzing solution is @RefListSortKey { @NumberOf @Tag }, but for N
cited references it reuqires 2N+1 runs to converge since you
circularly define the order of references as the order of references.
A refernce per two runs will manifest in the refernces list as each
run compute more ordering (all remaining references will get "??" for
the key and only the first one will manifest and will be numbered on
the next run).

Not that this is of any practical value, just an interesting fact.

SY, Uwe