lout-users

Re: references in order of appearance (again)

From: Mikko Huhtala
Subject: Re: references in order of appearance (again)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 11:31:00 +0300 (EEST)

> To do this you need to know if the tag has been already
> seen in *this* run.  But @Foo&&tag will give you the xref from the

I have been wondering about this. It seems like a pretty simple feature
to add since it can be done in a very short preprocessing script even with
my nonexistant programming skills. I know next to nothing about language
design, so I don't know if adding such a thing to Lout would fundamentally
break the concept.

In the document at hand I have less than 100 references, so the very quick
and very ugly solution is to have the preprocessor insert padded labels
like {" 1"} instead of { 1 } etc. so they will be sorted correctly. The
Lout output will be *ugly*, but it does not matter much for this
particular document.

Anyway, I believe that getting references in the order of appearance is an
important feature and, as we can see, it is a pain in the fundament to
produce with the current versions Lout. If the correct solution you
explained is not too hard to implement, I think it would be a good
idea to have it in Lout.

> An amuzing solution is @RefListSortKey { @NumberOf @Tag }, but for N
> cited references it reuqires 2N+1 runs to converge since you
> circularly define the order of references as the order of references.

That is scary.

Mikko