lout-users

Plus and Minus operators

From: Dan Wamba
Subject: Plus and Minus operators
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 21:00:08 +0400 (MSD)

Hi,

I have some comments on eq...

I continue writing my large Lout document, which
includes a lot of maths also. I find Lout sometimes
wordy [which is necessary to keep it flexible] but
extremely useful :-)

Minor problem was: I was unhappy the eqf file defines
"+" and "-" as {bin plus} and {bin minus}, because
/silly example only/:

-C = 1 + 2 {first - is not binary}

is better than

 - C = 1 + 2

But it was __easy__ to fix it

def "-"
left x
{
  @Case x
  {
    "" @Yield minus
    "(" @Yield {x minus}
    "[" @Yield {x minus}
    else @Yield {x bin minus}
  }
}

It works better than the default, I think.

I even wanted f(t+1) = f(t) - f(t-1) ...
/you think about it if you have a lot of such
equations/
And I have defined "-" in the way as follows therefore

def "-"
left x
right y
{
        x @Case
        {
                "" @Yield {x minus y}
                ( @Yield {x minus y}
                [ @Yield {x minus y}
                t @Yield {x minus y}
                tau @Yield {x minus y}
                else  @Yield
                {
                        y @Case
                        {
                                t @Yield {x minus y}
                                tau @Yield {x minus y}
                                else @Yield {x bin minus y}
                        }
                }
        }
}

That's not so nice :-(. I think it would
be better for "-" and "+" to obey the spaces around
them. I AM NOT ABLE TO PROGRAM THIS IN LOUT. Is it
possible or not? I was also surprised I have to write
f( t+1 ) to make "+" obvious that the left argument is
t and not f(t. Is that correct??? Where do objects
start? After a whitespace?

I think it would be GREAT to introduce
1.  left word x
2.  left character x