lout-users

Can anyone save my sanity -- help me to understand filtering?

From: Graham Douglas
Subject: Can anyone save my sanity -- help me to understand filtering?
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 22:56:03 +0400 (MSD)

Hi All

Firstly, I'm running Lout 3.24 on Windows 98.
Secondly, I apologise if a sense of frustration
comes through..., I *really* want to get to grips with
Lout because it looks to be such a great tool.

I'm trying to understand filtering of
right and body parameters but, unfortunately,
can't get the hang of it :-(. Sadly, my ageing
brain cells are just not cooperating...it is
very frustrating.

Firstly, can anyone please give me an
Idiot's Guide overview of filtering.
I can program in C so add
low-level details if that would help.

HOW does filtering work --
The Expert Guide, for me, just doesn't
give enough examples or explanation
on this topic.

--what are @FilterIn/@FilterOut
--HOW are these used

Everything I try keeps giving me errors
concerning Lout1/Lout2 etc where do these files
come from???  I just don't get it. Sigh.

What I'm interested to investigate is running
two programs called MetaPost (a graphics
programming language which outputs
PostScript/EPS) and a scripting Language
called Lua.

Suppose the command

"Lua foo.lua"

produces foo.eps

How can I get Lout to run the
"Lua foo.lua" command and
subsequently import "foo.eps"?

Also, is it possible to embed raw
Lua code into Lout and have this passed
(in a file) to the Lua interpreter?

Likewise for MetaPost code -- can
I write inline MetaPost code, run MetaPost
and then import the EPS?

I saw the @Sort example in the
documentation:

@Sort
@Options { -r -u }
{
Austen, Jane
Dickens, Charles
Eliot, George
Hardy, Thomas
address@hidden edieresis}, Charlotte
}

which seems to pass a set of names
to the sort function, so are these names
written to some sort of temporary file --
is that where Lout1/Lout2 come in?

I wondered if the same principle
could be used with inline
MetaPost/Lua code --