lout-users

Re: Can anyone save my sanity -- help me to understand filtering?

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: Can anyone save my sanity -- help me to understand filtering?
Date: 05 Jul 2001 15:24:23 +0200

"Graham Douglas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Does anyone use filtering with Win 98 or am I the only one?
>
> I have tried and tried and tried to get filtering to work, it just
> won't. I can't believe it is such a complex procedure. I've even
> compiled Lout (Visual C++) and stepped through the C code in
> desperation, still no joy. Perhaps it just does not work on Windows,
> which is a real shame. Maybe Jeff could fix this in a future release.

I can't say for sure (because I don't have a Windows 98 PC), but from
my experience with Perl on Windows 95 vs. Windows NT, I have the
slight suspicion that filtering won't work on Windows 98, because IIRC
spawning subprocesses doesn't really work on Windows 98.

The various Win32 implementations (e.g., Windows 98 and Windows 2000)
are *a lot more* different than Microsoft wants you to believe; if you
want to use Windows, I would *always* recommend you use Windows
2000.  It's a lot more functional than Windows 98.

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                                  <address@hidden>