lout-users

Q: If a page break is not conditional then it's unconditional, right?

From: Kevin Cole
Subject: Q: If a page break is not conditional then it's unconditional, right?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:10:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hello again.  Today's question: Why is Lout ignoring my @NP ?  I have
several pages where there's a full-width header followed by a two-column
body.  Both columns are full of drop-tag items, some of which contain
tables.  One of the drop-tag items often splits across columns, so I
want to force it to the top of the next column.  The drop-tag item
just preceding it isn't a true drop-tag, since there's no second
part. I've done:

    @DropTagItem { @B { TYPE OF INSTITUTION }  { Public } }
    @NP @DropTagItem { @B { INSTITUTIONAL ACCREDITATION } }
    lines @Break { Not reported }

It ignores the @NP, and splits "INSTITUTIONAL ACCREDITATION" and "Not
reported" across two columns.  What am I missing?

Oh, and is there a good way to reduce the extra space left after the
first drop-tag (the one without a line after the tag)?

P.S. I finally decided to brute-force the vertical space problem by
     injecting a /0.075i in the few spots where lines were just
     overwriting parts of each other.