lout-users

system() vs. fork()+exec*()

From: Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
Subject: system() vs. fork()+exec*()
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:45:54 +0200

    Hello Jeff :))

>  > primitive called, say, @Script{scripting commands}?
>  > I have no idea, as yet, how you could, if at all, communicate
>  > anything back to Lout.
>I'd have to defer to an operating systems expert here.  The only
>way I know to do this is via system(), but I'm no expert.

    Under Unix it would be better and faster to use fork()+exec*().
This way the prg2lout could be in the same binary as Lout, and
execution of filters would be much faster and less memory hungry,
since no shell is invoked.

    Anyway I think that this is not very important now, as the speed
of Lout seems to be quite high by now. Just in case: if you want
system() replaced by the fork()+exec*() approach I can lend a hand.

    Raúl

P.D.- I cannot afford much time by now, but I'll try.