lout-users

The Fonts, not Lout...

From: Oliver Bandel
Subject: The Fonts, not Lout...
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:04:07 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello,

In some discussions I mailed into that list, that
Lout does only use the font's informations to create
it's output, and TeX's output looks better.

After asking the TeX-gurus in the german TeX-Mailinglist,
they said, that TeX does the same.
They said, if the output is ugly (even with TeX this occurs,
when using some freely available postscript-fonts),
the reason is that most freely available fonts are really
bad designed and that output using the cm-fonts from TeX
is looking better, because they are better designed than
the most other fonts. (But that commercial PostScript fonts
looks even better than the cm-fonts, but are expensive.)

Sorry for the possibly created confusion with the wrong informations
I gave you all in some discussions.

I only wanted to correct that wrong information I gave here
and therefore put back lout into light. :)

Ciao,
    Oliver