lout-users

Re: makefile uninstall somewhat aggressive?

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: makefile uninstall somewhat aggressive?
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:23:30 +0100

Hugh Sasse <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Jeff Kingston wrote:
>
>> Is there a problem with the current arrangement?  I would prefer
>> that LIBDIR be always installed and uninstalled as a unit, to
>> ensure consistency between its various parts.
>
> Conventionally among GNU stuff LIBDIR is /usr/local/lib, and
> if anyone installed it there, they'd be rather shocked after an
> uninstall.

Yes, but to be more precise: Apart from the actual libraries,
typically a *subdirectory* is used.  In this scheme you have for
example:

  /usr/local/lib/libpango-1.0.a
  /usr/local/lib/libpango-1.0.so
  /usr/local/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/

Since Lout doesn't install any libraries you can get this type of
setup by simply setting

  LIBDIR = /usr/local/lib/lout

and you won't have any problems when doing a make uninstall, without
needing a rule for every single file.

Personally, I always install stuff under /opt/<packagename>, where you
can easily see what you installed and you don't need anything more
advanced than rm(1) to remove it ...

Greetings

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                               <address@hidden>