lout-users

Multicolumn bullets

From: Nathan Bell
Subject: Multicolumn bullets
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:52:51 -0600

Hi everybody,

Sorry if this is should be obvious, but I can't figure it out.

I want to create a new type of bulletted list with a way to control how many columns (1, 2, or 3) of bullets are listed. This is for a user assembly guide where there is a list of parts at the beginning. Rather than run one bullet list of 20 parts, I'd like severa bullet lists side by side to take up less room.

I assume this is possible using a multi-column page, but since only an inch or two of the page will be columned, I'm not sure how to accomplish this. Could I set a certain range of the page to be three columns, and then let lout automatically wrap the list items, after a certain height, onto a second or third column?

If at all possible, I'd like to stay away from creating a table where every column is just a cell in the table. If there were a way to move items to the next cell when the first cell is full, then I'd be for it, but this seems unlikely.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Nathan