lout-users

Re: Cross-references to wrong pages

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: Re: Cross-references to wrong pages
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:01:19 +0100

On 2008-04-17, Yves Forkl wrote:
> >> Lout ends up with the wrong page number for many of my
> >> cross-references, printing the number of the preceding page.
> >
> > Your code looks OK to me.  Probably you just need to run
> > Lout once or twice more.
>
> Hi,
>
> currently I'm using a loop on the shell to resolve all cross-references:
>
> while grep -q unresolved lout.log; \
> do \
>     lout -e lout.log mydoc.lt > mydoc.ps; \
> done
>
> If this is not sufficient to get the page numbers right: How to
> determine the number of runs required? Has experience led to an
> estimated guess here?

For books with indexes and large floating items like tables and figures
I find that pagination doesn't always complete until I've done 11 or
even 12 runs---I have lots of cross-references and also there are often
borderline cases that affect pagination.

For example, if you have figures and tables in chapters > chapter 9 lout
doesn't allow enough space (?.? instead of ??.? I think) so if you have
say "address@hidden" this comes out as, say,
Table~?.? until the pagination is resolved and then it becomes, say,
Table~12.3. But that difference in width can be enough to affect
pagination...

BTW lout has a -r option to make it run a fixed number of times: this is
v. useful for documents that don't use lout's indexing.

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd., www.qtrac.eu