lout-users

Re: Formatting DocBookXML with Lout / Latin-1 and Latin-2

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: Formatting DocBookXML with Lout / Latin-1 and Latin-2
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:53:28 +0200

On 2008-04-16, Yves Forkl <address@hidden> wrote:

> But in my case (I'm using the Times font family), the hint that I got
> from Michael Piotrowksi in the meantime seems to work quite well,
> while being much simpler by several dimensions:
>
> Putting
>
> @SysInclude {latin2}
>
> at the document beginning and then writing, e.g.,
>
> {TimesCE Base} @Font address@hidden ccaron}ek}
>
> to produce the (Czech) name for the CARON that here combines with the c.
>
> The 00README file in Lout's system font directory seems to allude to
> this possibility as well, but I could not find any mention of this in
> the User's Guide or the Expert's Guide. (Some characters, like s with
> cedilla, however, don't come out in Times this way.)

This depends on the actual font that is used.  If you view the
PostScript file with Ghostscript you should see scedilla.  Ghostscript
is normally set up to use Nimbus Roman when Times is requested, and
Nimbus Roman contains a very large set of characters.

When you convert your PostScript file (requesting Times) to PDF, no font
will be embedded since Times is part of the PDF Base 14 Fonts, that
every PostScript viewer has to provide locally.  Now, if your PDF viewer
uses old fonts that don't contain an scedilla glyph, you won't see it.
Current versions of Adobe Reader or Preview on Mac OS X display scedilla
alright, as does Xpdf (using the Ghostscript fonts).

> This approach definitely must have some drawbacks, too. I'll be glad
> to learn about them.

No drawbacks.  These are just predefined fonts.  If you want to use
other fonts, you'll have to define them yourselve, of course (but that's
still much easier than with TeX).

Greetings

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                               <address@hidden>