lout-users

Re: Formatting DocBookXML with Lout / Latin-1 and Latin-2

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: Formatting DocBookXML with Lout / Latin-1 and Latin-2
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:27:53 +0200

Hi,

On 2008-04-18, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

>> Well, when Yves asked me, I also started describing how to set up new
>> fonts with Latin 2 encoding for Lout, but then I discovered that Lout
>> now (I don't know since when, but definitely 3.36) already comes with
>> all the necessary definitions.
>>
>> Thus, if you are using the Base 14 fonts, you can simply use Latin 2
>> characters as described above--that's all :-)
>
> Sure, but my understanding was that Yves was willing to mix Latin-2 and
> Latin-1 characters, which "@SysInclude { latin2 }" doesn't permit.

sure you can.

> Well, since the intersection of Latin-1 and Latin-2 is pretty large, it
> may or may not be a problem depending on the input text, but if you
> really want to mix Latin-1-only and Latin-2-only characters, I think you
> have to resort to the kind of hack I described.

No, that's not necessary.  By switching between the Latin 1-encoded and
the Latin 2-encoded fonts you can mix Latin 1 and Latin 2 characters in
a single document, no problem.  You could extend this to, say, Cyrillic
as well.

You probably shouldn't use a single byte to represent two different
characters, e.g., assuming your initial font is Times (i.e., Latin
1-encoded):

  { TimesCE Base } @Font { £ód¼ } Fænø

and write this instead:

  { TimesCE Base } @Font { address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden zacute}