lout-users

Formatting DocBookXML with Lout

From: Yves Forkl
Subject: Formatting DocBookXML with Lout
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 22:23:27 +0200

Hello,

I am in the process of formatting a PhD thesis written in a variant of DocBookXML 4.5 with Lout and I would kindly ask for your help on some problems I am currently facing.

First of all, has somebody already written any XSLT stylesheets to transform a DocBookXML <book> into a Lout @Book? Leveraging Michael Piotrowski's XSLT stylesheets for transforming a DocBookXML <article> to a @Report, I managed to cover some of the DocBook elements I use. But I would of course be glad if someone could share even more such XSLT code.

Second, my thesis' main text ends with a conclusion or summary. It is neither an @Appendix nor a @Chapter, consequently, it should not show the word "chapter" or "appendix" in its title and it should not be numbered. (In DocBook, there is no suitable element, so I use <chapter>, but must process this one specially, of course.) Which options do I need to set to achieve this in Lout, and what else must I do?

Third, to format the contents of <sect4> and <sect5> from DocBook, I need to develop my own structures in Lout as it has no predefined structural units at this level. The problem is that I have cross-references which need to point to the numbers of such units, this is why I need to provide these numbers somehow (both at the original place and in the cross reference).

I considered generating the numbers at both places in XSLT and use Lout's @BypassNumber mechanism, but how to make that option available for my new units? Will I have to actually extend Lout at low-level to obtain units of this type, or is there some way to fake them (like: just showing a heading) and still have the numbers at my disposal? Do you have other suggestions on this?

  Yves