lout-users

Re: Formatting DocBookXML with Lout

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Formatting DocBookXML with Lout
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:14:06 +0200

Hi,

Yves Forkl <address@hidden> writes:

> Second, my thesis' main text ends with a conclusion or summary. It is
> neither an @Appendix nor a @Chapter, consequently, it should not show
> the word "chapter" or "appendix" in its title and it should not be
> numbered. (In DocBook, there is no suitable element, so I use
> <chapter>, but must process this one specially, of course.) Which
> options do I need to set to achieve this in Lout, and what else must I
> do?

One (hackish) possibility is to use an empty address@hidden', and then to
have your front-end produce "Chapter" and the relevant alignment when
you need it, i.e., for all chapters but the conclusion.

Or you could augment `bookf' with an address@hidden' symbol, similar to
address@hidden'.

> Third, to format the contents of <sect4> and <sect5> from DocBook, I
> need to develop my own structures in Lout as it has no predefined
> structural units at this level. The problem is that I have
> cross-references which need to point to the numbers of such units,
> this is why I need to provide these numbers somehow (both at the
> original place and in the cross reference).
>
> I considered generating the numbers at both places in XSLT and use
> Lout's @BypassNumber mechanism, but how to make that option available
> for my new units?  Will I have to actually extend Lout at low-level to
> obtain units of this type, or is there some way to fake them (like:
> just showing a heading) and still have the numbers at my disposal? Do
> you have other suggestions on this?

The best thing to do is to resolve cross-reference numbers in the
front-end and make sure to always use address@hidden' (that's what I do
in Skribilo, http://www.nongnu.org/skribilo/).

Thanks,
Ludovic.