lout-users

Re: Formatting DocBookXML with Lout / Latin-1 and Latin-2

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Formatting DocBookXML with Lout / Latin-1 and Latin-2
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:04:33 +0200

Hi,

Michael Piotrowski <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2008-04-17, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>
>>> But in my case (I'm using the Times font family), the hint that I got
>>> from Michael Piotrowksi in the meantime seems to work quite well,
>>> while being much simpler by several dimensions:
>>>
>>> Putting
>>>
>>> @SysInclude {latin2}
>>>
>>> at the document beginning and then writing, e.g.,
>>>
>>> {TimesCE Base} @Font address@hidden ccaron}ek}
>>>
>>> to produce the (Czech) name for the CARON that here combines with the c.
>>
>> Nice!  Michael: can you post it here?  I'm curious.
>
> Well, when Yves asked me, I also started describing how to set up new
> fonts with Latin 2 encoding for Lout, but then I discovered that Lout
> now (I don't know since when, but definitely 3.36) already comes with
> all the necessary definitions.
>
> Thus, if you are using the Base 14 fonts, you can simply use Latin 2
> characters as described above--that's all :-)

Sure, but my understanding was that Yves was willing to mix Latin-2 and
Latin-1 characters, which "@SysInclude { latin2 }" doesn't permit.

Well, since the intersection of Latin-1 and Latin-2 is pretty large, it
may or may not be a problem depending on the input text, but if you
really want to mix Latin-1-only and Latin-2-only characters, I think you
have to resort to the kind of hack I described.

Thanks,
Ludovic.